Saturday, January 2, 2010

Something a little different

So my pops is a microbiologist at the University of Cincinnati.  He had been in the same awesome lab since my parents and I moved to Cinci when I was two.  I had my first job cleaning and sterilizing lab equipment there, and it was the only place where science was cool and interesting to me.  Pops lined the walls of the lab with comic strips, lots of Far Side, Doonsbury, and Jim Borgman political cartoons.  It gave the place a ton of personality, and by the time I was in highschool, most of the strips had that awesome bourbon colored decomposition going on that happens to recycled paper much quicker than regular.

Recently, he had to say goodbye to his old lab and move into a much smaller, more sterile looking one.  He seemed pretty depressed about it, and when asked if he'd be putting up any posters or comics he replied that that wasn't likely.  So I made him this to hang on his door for Hannukah.



The banner is made from multiple thin strips of paper running horizontally, with vertical lines of string running between them every 3/4 of an inch or so.  Very hard to draw on, so there's limited room for detail.  It's a chinese wall calender I got at a buffet in Cincinnati years ago.  12x36 inches, with microbes, cells, and histoplasma leaping epically out of a petri dish.  He loved it :)

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment